Monday, 18 January 2010

Another Year.

(Click image to enlarge)







"The Winter makes things hard enough, I think I'll wait another year..."
- Amanda Palmer

I developed this flat cutout idea into something more installation-based, hanging the letters from branches in my space. At first I found it frustrating how the letters rotate on their threads, but began to consider this more as a positive thing, encouraging a viewer to interact with the piece by moving round trying to decipher the message. The words are suspended as leaves frozen in time, cascading down onto the miniature forest below.
The photos at this stage are not so great, but I will soon post better ones provided by my good friend and brilliant photographer Katie Hilton.


I needed lyrics/poetry to work with after moving on from John Keats' 'To Autumn' to look for something more wintry. The song was too perfect not to use, and the leaves seemed so symbolic of the passing of time and the dying of the year.



No comments:

Post a Comment