Friday, 6 April 2012

Challenge: 4 Days, 4 Masks

Sorry it's been so long since my last post! My hands have been dirty a lot lately, and it's not ideal for blogging.


I've been really trying to push myself lately. Last week, I wanted to make the most of the time before the studios closed for Easter, so I set myself the challenge of making four masks in four days. This includes clay sculpting, paper mache and removal from the mould, but not painting. Painting is something I'm working on now at home.






I'm working on a wolf, a stag (currently awaiting antlers), a rabbit (currently awaiting ears) and a duck. I have ideas for the sort of characters they're going to be and I'm working towards props and photoshoots to give a sense of character and a glimpse into a narrative.























"A good photograph must tell an entire story." - Michio Hoshino (wildlife/landscape photographer)



I feel like focussing on single images of a character will be a positive step for me right now. Trying to tell a story - or give an insight of a character - in one image is challenging. It's something I feel Red Nose Studio does very well, with a sense of emotion, as if they've really captured a moment of somebody's life. Be sure to check out their website, especially if you're interested in illustration using 3D models - http://www.rednosestudio.com/. It's truly amazing stuff.



Photoshoots should hopefully start next week so I will most likely be hanging a cardboard moon from a tree in a park!





No comments:

Post a Comment